Thursday, January 7, 2016

Book Review--The Silver Star

The Silver Star is the first novel by Jeannette Walls, author of The Glass Castle. This is the first time I've read Walls and I am impressed!



The novel tells the story of two young-teenage sisters, Bean and Liz. Told from Bean's point of view, we learn about the girls' less than normal upbringing due the erratic nature of their mother. As their mother's mental condition deteriorates the two embark on a cross country trip to find their closest relatives. Once nestled safely in Virginia under the wing of their mother's brother Tinsley, the girls begin to acclimate. Bean discovers  her father's family and they welcome her with open arms. But it's not all rainbows and sunshine, especially once Liz endures a gut-wrenching ordeal which alienates the family from much of the town. The Silver Star shows us the amazing bond only sisters can have and how important it is to hold your family close.

I wasn't 20 pages into the book before I started feeling a connection with both girls. I found myself worrying for them and cheering for them. Plus, Walls does an excellent job of bringing her characters to life. It's a rare book that allows me to envision a character so clearly that I can see their face with no effort and by the novel's conclusion I could see eleven of those faces.

Walls is known for her memoirs but her fiction proves to be well worth the read.

1 comment: